Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Servants and Friends



First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Donny and I am a fellow rambler with Buck. Buck and I ramble on the phone, by email, and in person about just about everything. The only real threads that run through all of our ramblings is that we both love Jesus and we want to see change. Neither of us are perfect. However, I might be a little closer than he is...just kidding.

I emailed Buck yesterday and he asked me if I could contribute to the "beautiful ache." So, lets hear what you think, not necessarily about my thoughts...even though that is good and both Buck and I encourage that, but more importantly about your journey. Where do you see the "beauty in the ache?"


I was talking to someone yesterday and they asked me a question that I've been
asking myself for quite a while now...when did serving become such a burden?
It seems like when you want to serve, people heap everything on you. The key
question to ask about this is "who are you serving? God or people?"


I know there is honor in serving the man or woman of God. Look at Elijah and
Elijah. If Elisha wouldn't have served Elijah, then he wouldn't have received
the double portion (the first born blessing).
I'm coming back to the words of my Lord. He said, "I no longer call you
servants, but friends." Servants serve because they have to, thus the burden
that it entails. Friends serve because they want to. In this is the joy! No
matter how much I "want" to serve, I know people will use that desire. Maybe
not maliciously, but still using someone else's desire to serve. Maybe if the
whole body would do it's part, then one hand or one foot wouldn't be so tired
and disgusted.

Now there's a totally different issue...disgusted! Let's make sure that through it
all, we do not get bitter. God's Word is clear in this..."Do not let a root of
bitterness have control." His Word is also clear when He declares to His
friends "He who endures to the end will be saved."

Anyhow, just some personal ramblings.

Oh, and before I forget, Buck and Adie are heading off to Kenya in just a few short days (we're into single digits now). Let's keep them and the nation of Kenya in our prayers. God will use what they sow while they are there to reap an eternal harvest.

3 comments:

fishinfool said...

Is it possible to be bitter without bitterness controlling you? Isn't it kind of like "be angry and sin not"?

Unknown said...

Thanks Donny, ah we will discuss who is closer to perfection later (says the sons of thunder) If indeed we each did our part in serving one another that would define: CHURCH. Meanwhile we get tired and a burden leads to being burn out. We make promises (vows) we wont keep and we prepare excuses instead of letting our yes be yes and our no be no. Jesus simply came to serve. In our servanthood others will see Him in you and me.

Donny said...

Anger is one thing and I believe it all depends on the attitude. I believe in "righteous" anger...that is: being upset enough about the things that upset God to do something about it. My question is "Where is the root?" Where does it stem from? The Word says don't let a root of bitterness control you. In this beautiful ache, we can choose to be bitter and let it grow like a fungus until it overwhelms us, or we can choose to give it to God, change what we can, and then move on with our own relationships. After all, if we're bitter with someone else, does it really hurt them? Aren't we really hurting ourselves?
I think (yeah, actually I do sometimes) that bitterness is anger the has wedged itself deep inside us.
Believe me, I'm not there. I'm still growing...however small the steps I take.
Anyone else want to comment on this? I would love to hear (actually read) more feedback on this.