Monday, July 14, 2008

Going...Going...Gone!


I was reading the blog of a friend of mine the other day. She was sharing on the Great Awakenings. One person that she mentioned was Keith Green. For those of you who are familiar with Keith, you know his passion for Christ and the lost.

During prayer this evening, I was shocked out of my normal religious praying when one of the ladies in the group began to say, "What about them? What about those?"

Keith Green wrote a song entitled "Jesus Commands Us To Go!" This song came back to my memory. I have a CD that has Keith sharing with an audience about doing mission work. I remember him saying that unless you have a direct order from God not to go, then the original mandate stands. Jesus said, "Go into all the world..."

As we are only days away from Buck and Adie leaving for Kenya, this is one of the things that is at the forefront of my prayers. I'm sure it's top priority for them also. This is not an easy task. It's hot there...that's a biggie for me. Also, there are flights, food, people, a resistance to the Gospel, and an international discontent with America. Still, Buck and Adie have chosen to do this. Why??????????????

I was pondering this question tonight. I'm sure Buck and Adie would feel more comfortable if we were together at a restaurant eating some good food. Buck would probably be happier playing B-Ball with some friends. Adie would probably rather spend time with her family. So my question again is Why???

I could answer that with a very religious answer about how people in other countries need to hear the Gospel. Well, people in this country do too, so that's not the reason. Maybe they want to feel good because they're doing something for God. Well, you can do something for God right where you are, so throw that reason out. I've come to the conclusion that the only reason they are going is because God said "GO!" I remember having a conversation with them a couple years ago and they knew God was sending them to Kenya. There is no reason for me to doubt that God has not given them a direct order with a heavenly commission.

My question to you is, why aren't you going? Before I get a bunch of emails with every excuse under the sun ranging from "I hate to fly" to "I don't eat bugs" and so forth, let me ask you this question...IF that is your excuse, why don't you do it here? We are quick to talk about the weather, food, jobs, church, new cars, ...whatever. When was the last time you shared Jesus with the person at the grocery store? at work? at school?...you get my drift? Why don't you find a good ministry in your own town and do something there? Hey, I know a good place...if you live in the Keyser, WV area, check out the Fire Escape. They've been doing this for years and they're right in the back yard of many Christians and churches. You don't have to raise money to send a mission team to some far away country...you can do it here.

I invite, encourage, and desire for you to pray for Buck and Adie and the entire team that will be with them. I also encourage you to pray that your hunger and passion for the lost is restored. Also, check out my friend's blog. It's www.cafenotes.blogspot.com Melissa has been sharing about the Great Awakenings along with many other great happenings today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Keith Green, I remember he used to be like my guru. I would listen to him during devotional time. Read his autobiography over and over. Even recall and friend and I would listen to him before we went out to street witness like it would empower us or something? Since then I havent listen to him in a very long time. Still I will always remember in one of his teachings he asked the crowd "how many of you have been called to stay home?" and only a few raised their hands. Green then added so the rest must go home to pray and seek out where the Lord wants you to explore missions. And he wasnt even talking a lifetime commitment but just try it for 2 weeks or so. As Donny said the reason to go is well Jesus Commanded us to "Go" (and when you look that up in the original language it means GO!!) I know theres the culture shock, the heat, the bugs to shoo away or perhaps eat, dine on pigeon pie(not too tasty) less comfort (and therefore less joy?) but the thing I love and hate about missions is that it takes me out of my comfort zone to present the love of God to others. In Missions you work as a team to serve others, spending/denying yourself. They live WWJD instead of wearing it. And in the churches back home that just doesnt take place at least not in the majority of them. If churches in America would work as a mission team, gave of their time and money. Realizing we are bless to bless others we would truly be amazed at the changes. But for the most part we rely on festivals/conferences to set us "on fire" only to come home for a few days then we are waiting for next years "fire session". By the way to be honest/blunt its much easier for most of us (me) to be a witness overseas then to be Christ like to those I live with, work with and have contact with on daily basis. I much rather go hang out in that cave (Donny previously mentioned) well okay Canaan and keep to myself, music, books and a few friends. Or maybe get a lawn chair like Jonah and wait for the Lord to show His wrath. But anyway God has been so good to me in His grace and mercy the least I can do is GO.
Blessings....

Unknown said...

By the way thanks for mentioning Fire Escape Youth Center.. Its been running over 10 years and the only thing it lacks is Christian Youth and Youth Pastors being missionaries there. These kids have the same need we all have and thats Jesus. "..don't prevent them from coming to me GODS KINGDOM IS MADE UP OF PEOPLE LIKE THESE. Matt. 19:14 (msg)