Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Present Vs. Future


Technology is so wonderful. As I'm sitting here typing on my 'smart' phone, I'm thinking about how quickly things change in our lives. When I got my first cell phone, I loved what it could do for me. However, I would've never expected it to access the internet. Yet that's what I'm doing. These things will even play videos! It makes me wonder what the future will hold.

There is an Amish community near where I live and work. I see them riding their horse and buggies every day. This got me thinking about a few things. The Amish do this by choice but what about those in places like where Buck and Adie are now. We take for granted that we have decent drinking water or health care. Some people don't have that.

I have noticed a switching of roles recently. It used to be that the church was futuristic. We sang songs of getting to heaven and rejoicing. Now we're more concerned with what we can get now. The world was concerned about the present but now they're looking to the future.

I believe that there needs to be a balance in our lives. We need to look forward to what is going to happen. We need to go in with eyes wide open. I don't believe it is a coincidence that in the last few verses of the Bible, Jesus says that He is coming quickly and John responds by saying "Come Lord Jesus!" I'm ready for that. I'll say "Amen!!!!"

We also need to be fully aware of the present. We need to be concerned with things that affect daily living. That is what missions work does. It brings the daily living of others to our attention while offering the hope and future that God has planned for each of us. What kind of God would He be if we had to wait until we got to Heaven to experience His benefits? Can I hear the church say 'Amen'?

1 comment:

fishinfool said...

Do you think maybe the church is afraid to look to the future? Maybe they are afraid of what they might see? I think the world has always looked to the future just not in the way Christians should. The world looks to the future to see how much money, assets etc.. they can gain. I'll admit I do not look to the future as much as I use to. Don't know why. I guess I have been knocked down by the cares of this world. Sometimes it is hard to look to the future when the here and now is seemingly so difficult.